Netflix’s “Girlboss” :: Episode 1 & 2 :: TV Tuesday
Netflix’s New Original Series “Girlboss” is Up and Ready to Binge. It is the female led story about Sophia, a twenty-something in the early Aughts who has not quite figured out how to adult. The story is an adaptation of the book by the same name, and is disclaimed at the start at being a loose telling of real life events. It is set in New York, and is definitely more “Broad City” than “Girls”, though this is different than either.
I tuned in because I tend to enjoy Netflix Shows. I also am a fan of female led stories. Oh, and I’ve always been a fan of Britt Robertson. I have the book on my shelf, a gift from a good friend for my birthday last year, but I’ve yet to read it. I think I’m going to wait to dig in to it until after I finish the Series.
My first thoughts?
- I Love the Music. I Love it enough that I had to keep hitting pause to look up what was playing and write it down for later listening.
- Sophia reminds me of a early Aughts Lelaina Pierce (Reality Bites).
- The pace of the first two episodes feels more like a movie to me. I’m not sure if this will change as the story unfolds.
- I kept thinking it was set in the 90’s, no the early Aughts. Not that that’s a bad thing.
- I want more of Sophia and Annie’s friendship.
- Definitely binge worthy.
Now how about some of that Music?
Best from Episode 1:
“The Wild One” :: Suzi Quatro
“Rebel Girl” :: Bikini Kill
“The Magic Touch” :: Melba Moore
Best from Episode 2:
“Get It Poppin'” :: Fat Joe, Featuring Nelly
“Sensation Boulevard” :: T. Rex
“Teenage Dirtbag” :: Wheatus