Which came first, this song, or the heartbreak that I went through and took refuge (and a lot of ugly cries) in this song? Looking at the year of release, I think the song came first.
Do you have a sad song/love song/heartbreak song that you leaned, and cried into, while going through heartbreak?
“Maps” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
from the album, Fever To Tell (2003)
My Top 5 – February 11, 2011
They don’t love you like I love you.”
My Top Five Thoughts on “Maps” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs:
1. “Maps” is one of those songs that I know has been played to death, and probably will be for a long time to come, yet, I still completely love it. The song is moving and powerful. It often (more than often) makes me cry, and is a near perfect broken by love song.
2. “Maps” is a very poignant song about long-distance relationships and their often inevitable ends. It reminds me of trying, and failing, to keep love alive with an ocean and miles and time zones between a him and an I. I’ve read that “Maps” is actually written about a relationship that Karen O was in, and that the title is actually and acronym for “My Angus Please Stay” (MAPS).
3. Karen O is fucking incredible.
4. One of these days (nights) I will try this song at karaoke.
5. “Maps” is so raw and emotional, and the video is so raw and emotional. They both leave me feeling raw and emotional, too. The power of music, sometimes it just staggers and slays me.