“Never Going Back Again” :: Fleetwood Mac :: My Top 5
“Never Going Back Again” :: Fleetwood Mac
from the album, Rumours (1977)
My Top 5:
1. Rumours is one of five albums that I vividly remember listening to as a child. I loved the album then, and I love it now.
2. At my first advertising job I sat in a pool of assistants and we shared a clock radio/cassette player between us that we used to listen to music on. The music had that one weak speaker “tinny” sound to it, but it was the only way we could share music between us (our computers were speaker-less). At about 2pm nearly everyday we listened to Fleetwood Mac. It became a thing with the group of us. After awhile we started calling that time of day “Mac-time”.
3. I think I’ve always had a little bit of a crush on Lindsey Buckingham’s voice.
4. It always seems to be when the word never is used it is always a later proven wrong word, or statement. How many times have you said “I’m never going to” do something, say something, be with someone, go back to someone? And how many times after have you gone and done that very thing you swore against with all your vigor and conviction? I love the “been down one time, been down two times” line, and the opening line of how “she broke down and let me in“. It all seems fraught with that I promise you never again, yet here I am. For such a small and simple song, I feel like so much is conveyed.
5. I would have loved to seen Fleetwood Mac play during the Rumours tour. I’d love to see them now. They are one of those bands that I hope I get to cross of my Music “bucket list”.